Sunday 8 November 2015

Keeping Promises

This week we got to begin proselyting in a larger more combined area. Since Elder Chanza and Elder Chola have been transferred, we've had to take over their area until further arrangements can be made.

This week was more or less introducing my companion to the area. I got to show him the members and other people we see in the area I used to serve in before I began training him. We had some wonderful visits. One was with Albert. We got to see his new baby daughter named Joy. He's quite proud of her. We spent the time talking with him about the church and such. I shared a scripture that I personally liked from 2 Timothy 2:20-21 and we had a very nice conversation about it for some many minutes.

We were able to see Paul again this week. We followed up on some things and he said that he prayed about what we taught and he said that he got an answer that the church is true. We invited him to be baptized on the 22nd (my last Sunday on mission) and he committed to it. After stressing the importance of the preparation he will need to make heading up to the baptism, we proceeded to teach him the Restoration of the Church, and we invited him to pray about it in his own time. That was the only time that we saw him last week. I was a bit excited because I had the chance to baptize at least one more person before I went home. Sadly, he failed to come to church this last Sunday, even though he promised he would come. That means that his baptism will have to be postponed, therefore I will not be able to baptize anybody before going home. It's sad, but I haven't let it weigh down. I'm not sure if Paul didn't come out of apathy or if it was just because of his situation (after all, he has to walk a very long distance), and though I hope he didn't come because of the latter but it's all a moot point now. The fact is I won't be baptizing now.

I've actually gotten used to people falling through on their promises. I've realized that there are people who spring up and receive the gospel with gladness but quickly wither away afterwards because they haven't taken root to it. I've met way too many people like this to count. The first couple of times really tugged me to the heart, but I've gotten used to it. It happens. It's taught me a valuable lesson though. You can certainly walk the walk and talk the talk, but if you really don't mean it deep down inside all of it is just vain. I think - and this is my personal opinion, not fact - that this is a problem that is found throughout all sects of Christianity, though not everyone is guilty of it. We tend to take the light and truth that we have as Christians for granted. We know what we believe in is true and everything, but we sometimes fail to use it to bless us in our lives. We can become content with sitting in the backseat and going wherever the road takes us and we don't exercise to take the wheel and set the direction we really want to go in life. We become believers in name only and not in deed and heart, and if so we profit as much in life (spiritually speaking) as those who don't believe in the gospel or have no knowledge in it. I realize that salvation really is personal and that you have to be accountable for yourself and not expect everything to be handed on a silver platter. It is true, the atonement of Jesus Christ has the power to save us all unconditionally, but I liken it to it being a Christmas gift. It's given to you without hesitation at all, but it's never going to do you any good if you leave it sitting under a tree and never open it. Living the gospel - or at least, MAKING the effort to - is ultimately what will either make us or break us in life. It is what will make that power of the atonement possible, otherwise we have no promise.

I know I've rambled a little bit, but that's just something I felt like writing. It's good therapy for me actually. It helps ease my frustrations at times.

On the lighter side, we got to go and see Sister Khama's and Moses' wedding to each other on Saturday. It was really wonderful to see. Sister Khama looked very happy. Moses is one that seldom shows emotion though. I'm sure he was happy, but he isn't one that really puts himself out there. I took many pictures of the wedding. There was a photographer there, but he had a camera just like mine and I'm pretty sure I was taking far better pictures than he was. It's great to see though the fruits of your labours.

We'll I've written a lot today. Can't wait to hear from you next week!

Elder Massey


No comments:

Post a Comment